Career opportunities after Graduation
Graduates from the Department of History are advancing to all fields of society as well as specified fields related to history. The fields which the graduates can advance to may be as follows
A field of Teaching History
Graduates can obtain the 2nd grade teacher certificate for middle school through completing a course in teaching (10% of the fixed number of a year). Through this, they can become a teacher in a public middle or high school. Even students who don’t complete a course in teaching can become a teacher through entering graduate school of education (history education major). field trip expert instructor: As the significance of field trip and historical education is increasing, the graduates’ diverse advances to a field trip expert instructor and after graduating, they can actively work as a staff or freelancer in the field trip business.
A field of Study
- Professor: After students Finish their undergraduate studies in the Department. of History and complete a master's degree or doctor's program in Graduate School, they can train the upcoming generation as a teacher or instructor at each university in the nation.
- Researcher: After students complete their undergraduate studies in the Department. of History and a master's degree or doctor's program in Graduate School, they can advance to a researching position in a national public university research center or an academic research association. Currently, the demands for the researcher from many associations, such as ‘Goguryeo Research foundation,’ ‘Past History liquidation Research Center’ and ‘National Culture Research Center’ are increasing.
Curator and Government Researcher
- Curator: If students complete their undergraduate studies in the Department. of History, they are qualified to enter for a trainee curator examination and can become a curator after building their careers as a trainee curator. In addition, those who have at least master’s degree in Graduate School can become a curator. Currently, many graduates are advancing to a curator or staff in public or private museums.
- Government Researcher: In the case of civil service examination, academic background is no important in most fields. However, in the case of a research job for arts and sciences, the examination is limited to those who completed a bachelor’s degree (9th grade researcher) or master’s degree (7th grade researcher) in the Department of History. The demands for graduates are increasing as the tourist industry of local governments and the newly constructed museums increase.
- Record Keeper: In the case of public institutions, they select a record keeper (level 6). Students will be qualified to enter for an examination when they complete a master’s degree in graduate school and receive a year’s education in a record keeper center. It is one of promising field due to the increasing demands for record keepers.
Culture Contents and Exhibition Planning Culture Contents
Currently, many companies are conducting a business with government supports through cultural content promotion. Most of these contents are fields related to historical culture and advances by students will be rapidly expand the current fields. In particular the field of motion pictures, such as ‘game,’ ‘movie,’ ‘drama,’, business of conservation and reparation of cultural asset need history majors who have specialized knowledge. And graduates are advancing to the field of ‘publishing’ or ‘education.’
- Exhibition Management: As cultural consumption increases, demands for exhibition and experience exhibit are increasing and graduates’ advances to the exhibition plan and management related to history are increasing. Currently many graduates are advancing to middle-grade exhibition or planning companies.
Currently many graduates are advancing to various fields, such as office job, administrative government official, all sorts of press, field of computer science as well as specialized fields of the Department. of History.
Prospects and Vision
At present, there is a “war of history” between the three countries, Korea·China·Japan in East Asia. Korea has a serious conflict over Japan with the issue of Dokdo and a distorted history textbook, and China with the Northeast Fair Issue. Underneath the conflict lies the difference in perceptions of past history. Japan's already aggressive military and dangerous move continues, and the hectic growing hegemony threat from China is growing day by day.
As a result, the issue of how Koreans will face the tough future between China and Japan is becoming important. Also, as long as our country is neighboring China and Japan, the status of the Department of history is increasing due to the need for accurate understanding of past history. Therefore, the importance of history will continue to be emphasized in our country as long as China and Japan keep maintaining their status as the global power.
The government is also aware of the seriousness of this situation and is setting its focus on the policies towards strengthening history education in middle and high schools and universities. Therefore, the demand for teachers majoring in history is expected to increase and the possibility of finding job as a history teacher. In addition, it is very likely that the Korean's interest in the history and expectation on the processed 'content' based on it. Above all, the interest in television historical drama programs is always high, and more than 50% of the humanities books in bookstores are historical. These are the proof of Korean’s high interest in history and expectation on the processed ‘content’
Currently, the direction of social advancement utilizing the major of history is gradually expanding. The direction of social advancement in the department of history, previously limited to the existing professors, research and teaching positions, is expanding by the increasing demand of government researcher and curators due to local history research and museum attraction of local government. The demand for historic site exploration and historical travel is increasing day by day due to the increase of free time since the introduction of a five-day working system. In addition, the situation in which most of the cultural content development of Korean characteristics is being developed based on history studies, shows that the direction of social advancement of the history department is expanding.